- Special clinic and research interests include neuro-trauma.
- Critical care, management of head injury, sub arachnoid haemorrhage, spinal cord injury, organ donation, outcome and rehabilitation from critical illness.
- Anaesthesia special interests include neuroanaesthesia and difficult airway.
- MBBS (Newcastle 1987)
- MRCP (Glasgow 1990)
- FRCA (London 1994)
- FFICM (London 2012)
- Training in anaesthesia and ITU North East and ITU Fellow Brisbane 1996-7
- Tees Valley lead for critical care
- LCRN research lead for North East UK and also deputy chair of the UK Research Forum
- Clinical director critical care South Tees 2006 – 2020
- Head of critical care research James Cook since 2004
- Durham Tees Valley Critical Care Comprehensive Research Network Lead
- Editor CPD Anaesthesia 1999
- Honorary Professor University of Durham
- Local education supervisor in ICM
- Deputy college tutor anaesthesia
- Sub specialty interests: More than 100 publications include two books in neurotrauma critical care, sub arachnoid haemorrhage, brain stem death and organ donation, rehabilitation from critical illness and management of spinal cord injury.