The hospital’s origins date back hundreds of years. Originally the Carmelite Friary operated in Northallerton from 1356 until 1539 and the Friarage currently stands on the site of the Friary.
It opened in 1939 as an emergency medical services hospital and its initial function was to receive casualties in the event of the bombing of the Teesside civilian population.
From 1943 until 1947, the hospital functioned as the Royal Air Force Hospital, Northallerton and in 1948 it was temporarily reopened as a satellite of the Adela Shaw Orthopaedic Children’s Hospital (based at Kirbymoorside). It was then renamed the ‘Friarage Hospital’ and came under the control of the newly formed National Health Service.
The hospital underwent a £21 million redevelopment in 2007 to replace older parts of the building with more modern facilities to meet the highest standards of comfort for patients and staff in a warm and welcoming environment.
Private patient facilities are also provided in the Wensleydale suite.