There were no losers at South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s Star Awards – just a raft of inspirational stories which showcased local health services at their very best.
The awards – held to recognise the work of staff, volunteers and fundraisers who have really made a difference to a patient or service – attracted hundreds of entries this year in ten different categories.
Everything from embracing technology which supports patients and clinicians on the wards to the laundry and sewing room developing simple – but effective – ideas to help dementia patients was shared with an audience of around 200 people at The Middlesbrough Hotel.
Caroline Parnell, director of communications and engagement at the trust, said: “The awards are only a glimpse of the care, treatment and support our staff, volunteers and fundraisers provide day in and day out but they are always very humbling. I must also thank our sponsors who made the event possible.”
Tracy and Richard Clark, who turned their own personal and tragic circumstances – the loss of their ten-year-old daughter Abbie to sudden unexpected death in epilepsy – into setting up the charity Abbie’s Love received the fundraiser of the year award.
While Dawn Coulthard, a sister in accident and emergency at the Friarage Hospital, was named the trust’s unsung hero after being nominated by countless staff including porters and consultants.
This full list of winners were:
- Clinical team of the year – community diabetes team
- Behind the scenes award – laundry and sewing room
- Partnership working award – the VitalPAC team
- Innovation award – robotic surgical team
- Volunteer of the year award – Claire Hood
- Margaret Toase unsung hero award – Dawn Coulthard
- Transformation award – medical engineering team
- Fundraiser of the year award – Tracy and Richard Clarke (Abbie’s Love)
- Extra Life award – Ray Wheatley
- Chairman’s Award – IMProVE team
Three special thank you awards were also given to Susan Benson, Stephen Bell and the paediatric team while Professor Tricia Hart, received a lifetime achievement award for the contribution she has made to the NHS over the last 40 years.
Full details of all the award winners, runners-up and nominees are available on the trust’s Star Awards webpage