Daily supervision: Holistic centre staff
Accountability: Macmillan Cancer Information and Support Centre business manager and head of complimentary therapies
Location: Trinity Holistic Centre, The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough
Aim: The aim of the role of our acupuncture volunteers is to provide support to colleagues involved with the delivery of care. Volunteers will not undertake any acupuncture duties but will provide help and assistance to colleagues, so that service delivery is as effective as possible.
Holistic centre acupuncture clinic volunteers will:
- Provide support for staff to assist with the smooth running of the busy clinic
- Welcome patients to the centre
- Record times that treatment commenced and when the treatment is due to finish
- Arrange future appointments with the patients
- Chat with patients and provide therapeutic interaction
- Provide therapeutic comfort when necessary, and if appropriate.
- Adhere to all trust policies and procedures
- Recognise the importance of confidentiality
- Tact and sensitivity
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to the volunteering service
- Ability to work alone and as part of team
- Polite and approachable
- Friendly and professional approach
- Trust corporate training
- Therapeutic Support Programme – Volunteer Induction Training
- Donning and doffing of personal protective equipment (PPE)
There may also be opportunities for you to attend other training events hosted by the Macmillan Cancer Support Services.
Your commitment to this role will be discussed on an individual basis. We ask that all volunteers commit to a minimum of two hours per week.
The holistic centre and the therapeutic support programme team will provide you with any information updates, training opportunities and upcoming events on a regular basis.
Users of the service:
- South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust staff
- All patients, carers and visitors at South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Burgundy NHS volunteer polo shirt (provided)
- NHS volunteer badge (provided)
- Black trousers
- Black shoes
To apply for this role please contact:
Therapeutic Support Programme Team Office
The James Cook University Hospital
Call the team on: 01642 835863
Email us at: [email protected]Volunteer application form and risk assessment