Advanced Critical Care Practitioners
Advanced critical care practitioners are experienced senior healthcare professionals, most commonly from a nursing background.
We are part of the medical team providing care to patients on the cardiac intensive care unit.
The team is expanding with 5 fully qualified practitioners and three in training.
Each has undergone a comprehensive training programme under the direct supervision of a consultant cardiothoracic anaesthetist.
The programme is approved by the Department of Health and the Faculty of Intensive Medicine.
Our duties include:
- Examining, diagnosing and planning treatment for patients on the cardiac intensive care unit
- ordering and interpreting investigations
- performing procedures such as inserting invasive monitoring
- independently prescribing medications and blood transfusions
- initiating emergency treatment
- following up patients after they have left the intensive care unit
- teaching and supervising junior members of staff