Childrens Epilepsy Service
Welcome to the Childrens Epilepsy Service webpage
The Childrens Epilepsy Service at The James Cook University Hospital offers a specialist service for children and young people with epilepsy.
The service is available to those Children and Young People who live within Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland.
The team is made up of paediatricians, specialist nurses and medical secretaries. We provide specialist advice, support and information in all aspects of epilepsy care to children and young people, their parents and carers. Our service also helps people to understand modern epilepsy care through education and training.
Role of the service
- To be a point of contact for patients, parents and carers.
- To provide appropriate, timely and accurate information along with specialist age appropriate advice to patients, families and their carers during investigations and from the time of diagnosis.
- To give a holistic assessment and provide ongoing support and monitoring.
- To provide Emergency Health Care Plans for all children and young people who require rescue medication.
- To be an effective and coordinated link between hospitals, community services and other health care professionals who may be involved in a patients care.
- To promote a wider understanding of epilepsy by providing education, advice and support to other healthcare, education and social care professionals involved in the care of children with epilepsy.
- To develop the epilepsy service through regular review and patient involvement.
This webpage is here to provide information on the children’s epilepsy service at The James Cook University Hospital.