NHS Health Checks
If you’re aged 40 to 74 and live in Middlesbrough or Redcar and Cleveland you could be eligible for a free Healthy Heart Check.
As we get older our risk of developing heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, stroke and certain types of dementia increases, but the good news is they can often be prevented. Free NHS Health Checks are available to residents aged 40 to 74 who haven’t already been diagnosed with one of the above conditions.
Healthy Heart Checks are available in most GP surgeries (registered patients only). You can have a free check once every five years.
The check will take about 20-30 minutes:
- You’ll be asked some simple questions about your family history, and any medication you’re taking
- Your height, weight, gender, ethnicity and age will be recorded
- Your blood pressure will be taken
- A simple blood test will check your cholesterol level
You’ll also receive:
- Your individual assessment results and your overall risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- Referral to services to help you to manage lifestyle changes, such as weight management and stop smoking services (if required)
- Referral for management of cardiovascular risk (as appropriate)
Having your free NHS Health Check will help you to be better prepared for the future. By identifying risks early and taking steps to reduce them, you can improve your chance of maintaining or improving your health as you get older.