Paediatric Occupational Therapy
The occupational therapy service is a specialised service which provides a family-centred approach to help children and young people participate and achieve their developmental potential in daily activities (occupations) which enhance their health.
We provide specialist assessment, advice or treatment to children and young people who have delayed or impaired functional skills associated with a wide range of developmental difficulties. Assessment and treatment is tailored to meet the child/young person’s functional difficulties. This includes, but is not limited to, the following client groups and areas of difficulty:
- Physical disability – eg cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, etc
- Developmental delay.
- Impaired/delayed hand function
- Pencil skills/handwriting difficulties
- Movement difficulties – eg developmental co-ordination disorder, including dyspraxia
- Sensory processing disorders (affecting motor planning, learning and behaviours)
- Therapists are accredited sensory integration practitioners
- Visual perceptual difficulties
- Self-care/independence skills
- Functional mobility/transfers (e.g.: compensatory strategies, assistive equipment, minor environmental adaptations, manual handling advice)
Who do we work with?
We work with children and young people aged 4-16 years, who attend mainstream school, living in Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, and present with delayed or impaired functional skills associated with developmental difficulties.
This service also works closely with the child/young person, families and schools to support inclusion and learning. Joint assessments are undertaken with other professionals when required.
The team consists of a small team of three clinicians and a support worker. The team specialises in sensory integration and is accredited to deliver sensory integration intervention. The team works closely with the school physiotherapy team.
Where are we based?
We are based in the paediatric therapies team at:Children and young people’s services West Acklam Centre Birtley Avenue Acklam Middlesbrough TS5 8LA
When are we available?
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm
How to refer?
Referrals are accepted from:
- Consultants and community paediatricians
- Healthcare professionals
- Psychology services or other professional
- Self-referral (if child/young person already known to the service)