Paediatric Occupational Therapy
The paediatric occupational therapy service is a specialist service providing holistic assessments and intervention for children and young people aged up to 19 years who have either postural management, sensory processing and /or motor coordination difficulties affecting activities of daily living/participation.
Who can we help?
Any child up to 19 years requiring a specialist assessment for provision of equipment within home or school to support and facilitate 24 hour postural care requirements
Any child three to 19 years who require a sensory assessment as a result of significant impact to occupational performance
Any child three to 19 years who may have an underlying movement difficulty such as developmental coordination difficulty or concerns around gross and/or fine motor skills which impact significantly on occupational performance
Any child three to 19 years who has been diagnosed or is suspected of having a long term physical conditions affecting their occupational performance significantly
Children and young people need to live in South Tees, attend a South Tees school and have a Middlesbrough or Redcar and Cleveland GP
- Parental referrals
- Children under three years and /or who attend a special school provision (including emotional and behavioural support) will only be seen for for posture management and not seating for sensory /seating or inclusion
- Children who only require equipment provision/ adaptations in the home
- Children who do not have an occupational performance difficulty
- Children with feeding /eating challenges (such as ARFIDS,PICA)
- Children whose core difficulty is as a result of significant Mental Health Disorder, such as anxiety, self harm or OCD
- Referrals requesting implementation of recommendations/treatment devised by another OT/service
- Referrals for handwriting concerns outside of education
- Referrals will not be accepted from a professional on behalf of another professional
The team consists of a small team of clinicians and support workers.
We are specialist in sensory integration and are accredited to deliver Ayres Sensory Integration Assessment and Therapy.
We work alongside other professionals involved with your child to ensure a holistic approach to treatment and assessment.
Where are we based?
We are based in the paediatric therapies team at:Community paediatric occupational therapy Children and young people’s services West Acklam Centre Birtley Avenue Acklam Middlesbrough TS5 8LA
When are we available?
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm
How to refer?
There is an occupational therapy referral form, please contact us to request one.
firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01642 944506.
Referrals are accepted from all health , social care and education professionals.