As a safety precaution and so we are aware of who is visiting at all times, doors to PICU are locked. To gain access please use the doorbell and a member of our team will ask you to identify yourself before releasing the door. PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW OTHER PEOPLE TO ENTER WITHOUT PERMISSION. This is for the safety of the children. Our nursing team are likely to be busy so please bear with us if the door isn’t always answered immediately.
Information for Patients and Families
We have an open visiting policy for parents and siblings. Before bringing children to visit, please prepare them with the support of the nursing team if appropriate.
Family and friends are welcome to visit between 11am and 7pm. For security visitors must be accompanied by a parent.
All visitors will be asked to leave the unit during nursing handover and ward round in order to maintain confidentiality.
It may be appropriate to request you leave the unit at other times for example whilst children are being admitted or stabilised.
In order to create a clean and safe environment for all children, we ask that parents and visitors:
- Avoid smoking or having the residue of second-hand smoke on clothing
- Change out of ‘work clothes’
- Remove outdoor coats and hats, hooks are available within the unit
- Do not leave valuables unattended
- Limit the number of visitors to two adults per bed space, there is a waiting room where hot drinks can be made on Ward 22 so please make use of this. Standing in the corridor may cause an obstruction in an emergency
- Wash/gel hands when entereing the unit – this is extremely important as it helps reduce the spread of infection
- Avoid visiting or ring for advice if you have cold/flu symptoms, cold sores, diarrhoea, vomiting or if you or a family member develops chickenpox, measles or shingles
If our fire alarms are activated, parents and visitors will be given instructions by the nurse in charge. Our fire alarm is tested weekly on a Tuesday