- White cell count greater than 30 x 109/l
- Neutrophil count less than 1.0 x 109/l
- Platelet count less than 50 x 109/l
- Haemoglobin less than 75 g/L
- INR results greater than 5.0
The following parameters should be used to assess the need to telephone haematology results:
If results fall into the critical level but are supported by recent previous results of a similar level, these need not be telephoned except where the values are becoming more abnormal or there is a bleeding/bruising history.
If you are unsure of clinical significance, please discuss with a senior member of staff or consultant haematologist at earliest opportunity.