About psychology first aid
We are all experiencing many different physical, emotional and psychological reactions to this unprecedented situation, this is normal and none are right or wrong.
Feelings like stress, worry, fear and sadness are by no means a reflection that you cannot do your job or that there is something wrong with you.
Empowering ourselves with strategies to help ourselves, and each other, will protect our wellbeing, enhance our confidence and give us back some control in an otherwise uncontrollable situation.
Your self-care, right now, is more important than ever.
How the medical psychology team can support you
We are working to support staff as part of the response to COVID-19. We want to promote your physical, psychological and emotional wellbeing, both in the short and long-term.
You might have met us in the hospital or on the wards already, and we hope to meet many more of you.
We will listen when you need to talk.
We will provide information, advice and strategies related to your wellbeing at work.
We will redirect you to alternative services if you are concerned about mental health issues outside of work.
About psychological support
- Is your choice – not everybody wants or needs it
- Is not a course of therapy or counselling – you will be signposted to this if required
- Is not debriefing – we won’t be asking you for details about events
- Is not asking you about thoughts & feelings – we will listen when you need to talk, we will offer strategies
- Is available to you later if you don’t want it right now