Information governance ensures the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all the trust’s information and information systems.
Information governance includes
- Information governance management
- Confidentiality and data protection assurance
- Freedom Of Information Act 2000
- Information security assurance
- Clinical information assurance
- Secondary use assurance
- Corporate information assurance
Information governance aims
- To support the provision of high quality care by promoting the effective and appropriate use of information.
- To encourage responsible staff to work closely together, preventing duplication of effort and enabling more efficient use of resources.
- To develop support arrangements and provide staff with appropriate tools and support to enable them to discharge their responsibilities to consistently high standards.
- To enable the trust to understand it’s own performance and manage improvement in a systematic and effective way.
Data protection legislation applies to anyone who holds or has access to information about a living individual. It provides principles under which all organisations, including the NHS, operate when handling personal data.
Click here for more information on Data Protection Legislation.