Our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual and Questioning (LGBT+) staff network aims to work in partnership with the trust to create a safe, inclusive and diverse working environment that encourages respect and equality for all and a space that values and recognises the differences between sexual orientation and gender identity and works proactively to address these.
Membership is open to all South Tees staff members who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and those with a positive interest in driving forward diversity and inclusion within South Tees Hospitals as an employer.
- Work in partnership with the trust and act as an LGBT+ champion
- Raise awareness of LGBT+ staff issues
- Raise awareness of issues specifically affecting transgender staff
- Be a safe point of contact for LGBT+ staff
- Actively influence NHS policies and strategies that will or may impact on LGBT+ patients
- Support and be a partner to improve its score in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index
- Organise activities and events for LGBT+ staff
- Engage with union representatives and LGBTQ+ groups, regional LGBT+ networks and work closely with the other South Tees staff networks
- Provide first level support to LGBT+ staff who feel they are being bullied or harassed on the grounds of sexual orientation or sexual identity.
The LGBT+ Network completed the LGBT+ Foundation accreditation and are waiting for the results.
The accreditation began in March 2023 and the process included a policies and procedure evaluation, and a survey to colleagues and patients who had assessed our services in the last 12 months.
Using the results, we will put a strategy in place to constantly improve the experience or our LGBT+ community who work or assess our services.
Trust board members are collectively signed up to promoting the LGBT+ network. Our HR director Rachael Metcalf is the LGBT+ Network executive sponsor.
As a trust, we are fully committed to being an inclusive place for colleagues, patients, and visitors, and we all have a part to play in this. I am delighted to be the executive lead for South Tees, supporting our LGBT+ staff network. The network meets monthly and all colleagues are welcome. This network creates a sense of belonging for all colleagues and an inclusive and safe work environmentRachael Metcalf, HR director
The board received an update on 6 June 2023 and reaffirmed its support for all staff network groups. They provide a safe space and support for individuals, alongside an invaluable educational resource. As the organisation strives for a learning culture, the staff networks are a key resource in the attainment of an inclusive and equitable workplace.Mark Dias, non-executive director
Having an executive sponsor for the network is so important in building an inclusive culture for everyone at South Tees. Thank you for welcoming us to the board and for your ongoing support.Alison Kerr and Steven Cocks, LGBT+ staff network
Email: [email protected]