- Cardiothoracic anaesthesia
- Intensive care medicine
- Graduated MB.BS 1984, Guys Hospital, London and followed general medical and anaesthetic training in York, Glasgow and Newcastle.
- Appointed as consultant in general and paediatric anaesthesia in 1995 but subsequently developed an interest in adult cardiothoracic anaesthesia and intensive care medicine.
- Since 2002 has worked mainly in cardiothoracic theatres and cardiac ICU.
- Member Royal College of Physicians 1988
- Fellow Royal College of Anaesthetists 1991
- Fellow Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine 2011
- Member British Society of Echocardiography 2011