- Shoulder and elbow surgery
- Arthroscopic reconstructive surgery for sports injuries of shoulder
- Patient centered clinical effectiveness research
- Professor of orthopaedic surgery
- The Mary Kinross Trust and Royal College of Surgeons Chair, Department of Health Sciences and Hull York Medical School, University of York
- Past president, British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Senior examiner, intercollegiate specialty board examinations in trauma and orthopaedic surgery
- Associate editor, Shoulder and Elbow Journal
- Surgeon member of national joint registry steering committee
- Trustee, British Orthopaedic Association
Amar Rangan holds the Mary Kinross Trust and Royal College of Surgeons Chair at Hull York Medical School (HYMS) and Department of Health Sciences, University of York.
He is a specialist shoulder and elbow surgeon at South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in Middlesbrough, providing district and tertiary services in his specialty.
He also holds a full professorship with faculty of medical sciences and NDORMS, University of Oxford.
Amar has held key national leadership roles: President of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society, trustee of the British Orthopaedic Association, and surgeon member of the National Joint Registry Steering Committee.
Amar is a designated supervisor for HYMS integrated academic training and supervises pre-doctoral and doctoral studentships.
He is fellowship director for the nationally accredited shoulder and elbow fellowship at South Tees Hospitals and is course director for the postgraduate MCh(Orth) programme in Teesside.
Amar leads a programme of clinical and translational research, including NIHR funded multi-centre clinical trials.
He has published widely in trauma and orthopaedics, particularly in shoulder and elbow surgery, where his work has influenced clinical practice, national guidelines, and policy.
He is chair of MedConnectNorth and is a member of the NIHR i4i Challenge Awards Committee.
Prospective comparative study of quantitative X-ray (QXR) versus dual energy X-ray absorptiometry to determine the performance of QXR as a predictor of bone health for adult patients in secondary care.
Rangan, et al. (2021)
Total hip arthroplasty or hemiarthroplasty for hip fracture
Bhandari, et al. (2021)
New England Journal of Medicine
Surgery versus cast immobilisation for adults with a bicortical fracture of the scaphoid waist (SWIFFT): a pragmatic, multicentre, open-label, randomised superiority trial
Dias et al. (2020)