Please follow these simple instructions to promote full recovery.
- Protect your ears and any wounds from water until your pack is removed
- Do not blow your nose as this creates pressure and can dislodge any grafts
To avoid the risk of infection you should change the cotton wool dressing in your ear 2 to 3 times a day.
- Wash your hands before and after changing your dressing
- Apply a small amount of Vaseline to the cotton wool before replacing it to avoid it sticking to the
- Should any of the inner dressing come out, contact the hospital for advice
- Mild painkillers should relieve any discomfort
- You should refrain from working for two weeks
- Avoid flying for four weeks
- Complete any medications given to you on discharge
- Keep your outpatient appointment and any appointments for removal of packs and stitches
You may like to look at the following websites for more information, however as we are not responsible for them we cannot endorse them:
If you require further information please contact us on:
- Ward 35: 01642 854535
- Email: [email protected]
- Out of hours: 111
- In an emergency dial 999
South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust would like your feedback. If you wish to share your experience about your care and treatment or on behalf of a patient, please contact The Patient Experience Department who will advise you on how best to do this.
This service is based at The James Cook University Hospital but also covers the Friarage Hospital in Northallerton, our community hospitals and community health services.
To ensure we meet your communication needs please inform the Patient Experience Department of any special requirements, for example; braille or large print.
T: 01642 835964
E: [email protected]