What is IMT (Inspiratory muscle training)?
IMT is a form of resistance (weight) training which helps strengthen the muscles that you use to breathe.
When these muscles are strengthened regularly for a period of a few weeks, they can become stronger and are able to work for longer. You will also be able to exercise more without getting so breathless.
How to use your POWERbreathe®
The POWERbreathe® Medic will be set up for you by the Physiotherapist.
How to use:
- Make sure you are sitting upright comfortably.
- Use of the nose clip is recommended; however you can also just pinch your nose.
- Hold the device by the handle grip.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth, making sure you keep an airtight seal
- Breathe out as far as you can then take a fast, forceful breath in through your mouth. Take in as much air as you can as quickly as possible whilst expanding your chest.
- Breathe out slowly and with minimal effort, letting your shoulders relax
- Pause and then take another fast, forceful breath in.
- Repeat this fast, forceful breath as shown in the chart below.
How often to use your POWERbreathe® Medic
Use your POWERbreathe twice daily as advised by your Physiotherapist, following the exercise programme illustrated below.
Increasing the resistance of the POWERbreathe® Medic
You can build up your muscle strength by increasing the resistance of the POWERbreathe® Medic.
When taking a breath inwards, it should feel ‘sort of hard’ to ‘hard’ (4-6 on the Borg scale as shown).
As your muscles get stronger you should increase the resistance of the device.
1-10 Borg scale of perceived exertion
|4||Sort of hard|
|9||Really, really hard|
To increase the resistance:
- Rotate the load adjustment control (located at the bottom of the device handle) clockwise to increase the training load; rotate the load adjustment knob anticlockwise to reduce the training load.
- Notice that a numbered scale is visible on the side of the Medic Plus.
- As the load adjustment control is rotated, the internal load-indicator sleeve will move up or down, indicating your current training load on this scale.
Cleaning the POWERbreathe® Device
We recommend that you clean your POWERbreathe frequently to keep it in good working order.
- A few times a week, soak your Medic Plus in warm water for about ten minutes and then wipe it with a soft cloth, under warm running water, paying particular attention to the mouthpiece.
- Shake off excess water and leave on a clean towel to dry.
- Once a week perform the same procedure but soak your Medic Plus in a mild cleansing or approved cleaning solution instead of water.
The cleansing solution used must be intended for use on equipment that comes into contact with the mouth, such as that used for babies’ bottles.
- After cleansing with an approved cleansing product hold it upside down under a running tap so that water can run through the device. Shake off excess water and leave on a clean towel to dry.
Further cleaning instructions can be found on page 15 of your POWERbreathe user manual included in the box provided.
If you require further advice please contact:
Cardiothoracic Physiotherapy Team
Telephone: 01642 850850 and ask for either bleep 3616 or 1487
Email: [email protected]
South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust would like your feedback. If you wish to share your experience about your care and treatment or on behalf of a patient, please contact The Patient Experience Department who will advise you on how best to do this.
This service is based at The James Cook University Hospital but also covers the Friarage Hospital in Northallerton, our community hospitals and community health services.
To ensure we meet your communication needs please inform the Patient Experience Department of any special requirements, for example; braille or large print.
T: 01642 835964
E: [email protected]