Please follow these simple instructions to promote full recovery.
- Mild painkillers should relieve any soreness and taken half an hour before meals will make swallowing more comfortable
- You may find it easier to take your painkillers in their soluble form
- Medical advice should be followed regarding the consistency of your food but most patients should resume normal diet after surgery
- Refrain from smoking
- Avoid a dirty, dusty or smoky atmosphere
- Voice rest may be necessary for some patients, if so, specific instructions will be given by the nursing staff
- If you experience any bleeding or breathing difficulties you should contact the hospital for advice
- Your work environment will influence the amount of time you will need to refrain from working. Please ask the nursing or medical staff for advice
- Attend your outpatient appointment
You may like to look at the following websites for more information, however as we are not responsible for them we cannot endorse them:
South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust would like your feedback. If you wish to share your experience about your care and treatment or on behalf of a patient, please contact The Patient Experience Department who will advise you on how best to do this.
This service is based at The James Cook University Hospital but also covers the Friarage Hospital in Northallerton, our community hospitals and community health services.