Please perform the ticked exercises as guided by your therapist every ………………. hours,
with ………………. repetitions of each one.
Isolated IPJ (tip joint) and MPJ Flexion and Extension
- Hold thumb below joint to be exercised.
- Bend and straighten the tip of your thumb.
- Then move your hand to support the next joint down and bend and straighten this joint.
- Touch each fingertip with your thumb starting with your index finger and working along to your little finger.
- Once you can reach your little finger slide your thumb down towards your palm.
- Put the back of your hand on the table.
- Bring your thumb to the base of your little finger and then bring your thumb back to the table.
- Place the palm of your hand on the table.
- Moving your thumb along the table bring it away from your index finger and back again.
- Place the little finger side of your hand on the table.
- Bring your thumb away from the palm (in line with the table) and then back to the index finger – like the action of opening your hand to pick up a glass.
- Hold all fingers straight.
- Make a big circle with your thumb.
Who should I contact if I have any problems?
If you have any questions regarding your hand therapy please contact the hand therapy team on:
South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust would like your feedback. If you wish to share your experience about your care and treatment or on behalf of a patient, please contact The Patient Experience Department who will advise you on how best to do this.
This service is based at The James Cook University Hospital but also covers the Friarage Hospital in Northallerton, our community hospitals and community health services.
To ensure we meet your communication needs please inform the Patient Experience Department of any special requirements, for example braille or large print.
T: 01642 835964
E: [email protected]