- Suspected deformity – scoliosis PA/Lateral x ray on referral if possible.
- Back pain – MRI on referral if there are any concerns.
Early detection, monitoring and treatment of scoliosis is vital to minimize the effects of the condition and to provide patients with more treatment options. In most cases, children and young people do not have any warning signs, such as pain or lack of flexibility.
The most common symptoms of scoliosis are shown on the picture.
1. One shoulder is higher than the other
2. The body tilts to one side
3. One scapula appears higher than the other
4. One scapula is more prominent than the other
5. The waist appears uneven
6. Rib or loin humps – this is more evident on forward bending
7. One leg may appear shorter than the other