Diabetes and Endocrinology
Diabetes and endocrinology services are provided across three areas:
- The William Kelly Diabetes Centre, The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough
- Clinical Trials Unit, STRIVE Academic Centre, The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough
- The Diabetes Care Centre, Friarage Hospital, Northallerton
We aim to provide an excellent and comprehensive range of specialist services, and research based individualised care for persons with diabetes and endocrine problems to enable our patients to live an independent, full, healthy and long life free from recognised complications.
We believe that teamwork is essential and work as an integrated team to enable the smooth running of the department at all times. We all have our own roles but every member of the team has great experience and are well able to step in to each other’s roles when necessary to cover holidays and sickness etc.
As individuals we recognise the need for personal commitment to the department and strive to update our skills and develop our roles. All staff continue to have specialist professional training throughout the year for the ultimate benefit of patient care.
In July 2005 the diabetes care team achieved accreditation from the University of Teesside in the Excellence in Practice Scheme. The diabetes directorate is the first in the country and the first directorate in the trust to achieve this. Previously the team were successful at the Hospital Doctor of the Year Awards 1995, winning “Diabetes Team of the Year“.
Diabetes services provided include:
- Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes clinics
- Young adult/paediatric transition clinics
- Insulin pump clinics
- Specialist diabetes renal clinics
- Specialist diabetes foot clinics
- Nurse led diabetes education clinics
- Joint education clinics
- Rapid access clinics
- Erectile dysfunction services
- Specialist diabetes cardiovascular risk clinics
- Preconception, ante/post-natal clinics
- Dose adjustment for normal eating (DAFNE) course
- Community based clinics
- Dietitian clinics
- Adult diabetes psychology services
- Specialist podiatry clinics
- Telephone advice clinics
Endocrine services provided include:
- Endocrine clinics
- Joint thyroid clinics
- Nurse endocrine education clinics
- Lipid clinics
- Joint pituitary clinics
- Growth hormone injections
Bariatric Services include:
Bariatric surgery is an operation that is performed in order to help patients lose weight.
Evidence suggests that bariatric surgery may lower death rates for patients with severe obesity and related health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnoea, asthma, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, especially when coupled with healthy eating and lifestyle changes after surgery.
Exercise and diet alone often fails to effectively treat people with extreme and excessive obesity.