What we do
- Our service provides clinical assessment for the provision and supply of manual and powered wheelchairs to residents of Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland with permanent mobility impairment.
- We may also assess and provide special seating, postural and pressure care equipment for use with wheelchairs supplied by the service.
- Equipment may be trialled and options for provision discussed, taking into account clinical and functional issues plus service criteria and funding restrictions on certain types of equipment provision.
- We follow North East Specialised Commissioning Group Regionally Agreed Criteria (2008) for the assessment and provision of any wheelchairs and equipment.
- If you are supplied with a wheelchair you will be provided with information about how to look after it.
- Should you have any problems with your wheelchair repairs and adjustments can be carried out.
- Details of this service will be provided when your wheelchair is issued. We have a collection and delivery service.
Getting to the Disablement Services Centre
The wheelchair service is situated in the Disablement Services Centre.
The centre is a separate building situated near to the spinal injuries unit at The James Cook University Hospital.
Disablement Services Centre opening hours
- Monday to Friday
- 8.30am to 4.30pm
The wheelchair team
This consultant-led team will work with you and your family or carers to make decisions about your care and to ensure that your needs are met.
The team includes:
- administration staff
- rehabilitation engineers
- service manager
- therapists and therapy assistants