Our discharge suite at The James Cook University Hospital is located in the modular building near ward 3 and spinal injuries – click here to view map.
The discharge suite is open seven days a week from 8am to 8pm.
To contact the discharge lounge call 01642 850850 extension 54128.
Relatives and carers who are collecting patients from the discharge suite can drive right up to the discharge suite from the STRIVE Academic Centre car park (What3words – ///lucky.engage.zeal) – just press the buzzer at the barrier to speak to the discharge unit to gain access.
Better for patients
- Free parking in the discharge suite car park for relatives and carers collecting patients via the suite.
- More comfortable environment to relax, including recliner chairs.
- Food and drinks always available including breakfast.
- Televisions, radio and magazines available.
- Clothes and food bank links.
Better for staff
- Discharge suite team can collect patients from the ward.
- Discharge suite team can fast track medications for patients leaving via the suite.
- Friendly and supportive staff.
- Staff can administer medication.
Better for flow
- Every patient using the suite early is helping other patients.
- Ward beds are released, improving patient flow through the hospital.
- Early morning discharges ease bottlenecks in A and E.
- More patients receive the right care, in the right place at the right time.
"Very welcoming staff. Treated like family, given cup of coffee and settled into comfy seat to wait."
"This has been the best part of my hospital stay. Lovely staff, refreshments provided and pleasant surroundings."