Specialist Musculoskeletal Service
What do we do?
The Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland specialist musculoskeletal service provides a local, easily accessible diagnostic and treatment service in relaxed, comfortable, private and confidential community settings (One Life Centre, Middlesbrough, Guisborough Primary Care Hospital, Redcar Primary Care Hospital and East Cleveland Primary Care Hospital)
We provide advanced and timely management of musculoskeletal conditions.
The team offers multi-skilled assessment, diagnosis and treatment of peripheral joint and soft tissue conditions and cares for patients with complex underlying conditions through diagnostic imaging and investigations, injection therapy, aspiration, biomechanical assessment, as well as offering rehabilitation advice and providing orthotics.
Conditions we are happy to see:
- Shoulders – pain, limitation of movement/loss of function, – eg frozen shoulder, injuries, tendinopathy, calcific tendinopathy, early/moderate osteoarthritis arthritis
- Elbows – pain such as tennis/golfers elbow, bursitis, early/moderate osteoarthritis arthritis
- Hands / wrists – wrist and hand pains, eg De Quervains syndrome, trigger finger/thumb, early/moderate carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, early/moderate degenerative osteoarthritis
- Hips – pain, symptomatic early/moderate degenerative joint changes, impingement, groin pain/sprain, lateral hip pain, biomechanical issues.
- Knees – pain, swelling, locking, giving way, loss of function, bursitis, early/moderate osteoarthritis
- Foot /ankle – pain in your ankle, heel, mid and forefoot and toes – eg plantar fasciitis, achilles problems, early/moderate osteoarthritis, mortons neuroma and problems with walking and activities
- Cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine problems
- Under 18s
- Recent trauma or fractures
- Underlying neurological, inflammatory or systemic conditions
- Patients already attending secondary care for this condition or previous orthopaedic surgery for the same condition
- Two week rule patients
Who do we work with?
We care for any adult who has peripheral soft tissue or joint problems and work closely with the orthopaedic and rheumatology teams at The James Cook University Hospital. We also work regularly with other primary care teams including physiotherapy, podiatry, occupational health and the community pain service nurse.
- Click here for Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland MSK service
- Click here for Hambleton and Richmondshire MSK service