Doctors may arrive in the UK via one of the following routes:
- Widening Access to Specialty Training – WAST
- Medical Training Initiative – MTI
- Defined Route of Entry into Emergency Medicine – DRE-EM
- Stand-alone eligibility FAQs – UK foundation programme
- Specialty training. This is the home page for all medical and dental speciality applications, you can navigate from here to the speciality you are interested in, such as the GP National Recruitment Office.
- Primary care
- Global health programmes
- Independent trust appointment as trust grade doctor/ specialty doctor.
How to register with the GMC
Application registration. The General Medical Council (GMC) explains how to apply for GMC registration. This is something all doctors in the UK must have before starting work.
Visa and right to work checks
Health and care worker visa. The link takes you to information about the health and care worker visa, which you are most likely to start on, but the website also describes the other types.
Right to work checks – NHS Employers. This website from the NHS explains the documents that will be required for working here.
Information for overseas doctors and those in health careers. This website from the NHS contains specific information for doctors coming from abroad and covers all aspects for necessary certificates and requirement to work in the UK.