This guide is for behind the ear (BTE) hearing aids with a custom mould, as seen below:
- Take apart the hearing aid as seen below, this may be difficult, but the tubing should come away from ear-mould and hearing aid as shown below. Don’t throw away the old tubing just yet.
- Wash the ear mould and dry thoroughly.
- Get your new piece of tubing, ensure there is a taper on one end of the tube.
- Push the tapered end of tubing into the ear mould, make sure the tapered part is at the bottom and is pushed through in the correct direction as seen below.
- Try and pull the tube through until you get around a 90 degree angle, as seen below.
- Using some scissors or wire cutters carefully cut the tapered end off, try and make sure this is a neat cut to avoid irritation in the ear.
- Use the old piece of tubing to measure the length of the tube, and carefully cut with scissors or wire cutters. You can now dispose of the old tubing.
- Push the tube back onto the hearing by pinching the end of the tube and wiggling it onto the hook.