Our aim is to offer you and your carers support both at home and in hospital.
We will try and meet you when you are first diagnosed in the hospital and if you would prefer we can come and visit you in in your own home to discuss your diagnosis, treatment, any side effects and answer questions as you may have.
How can we help?
- We offer a specialist assessment of your particular needs.
- Provide information and advice about your conditions and treatment.
- Offer time for you and your carers to talk through anxieties or concerns.
- Assist and give guidance with benefits and grants.
- Ensure continuity of care by working closely with your consultant haematologist and any other professional people you may be involved with.
Referral and assessment procedure
Referrals are accepted from all healthcare professionals who feel that extra input and support from the outreach nursing team is required. All new patients are seen in the outpatient, inpatient or community setting.
A haematology outreach service leaflet is given to all new patients explaining the service that is provided.
How do you get in touch with the haematology outreach nursing team?
We are based on both hospital sites (James Cook and The Friarage) and can be contacted as below:
The James Cook University Hospital
We are available Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm (except bank holidays) however when we are not in the office you may wish to leave a message with one of our colleagues.
Your call is important to us and will be returned as soon as possible, but it may not be on the same day. Alternatively you can leave a message with the haematology day unit receptionist.
Telephone: 01642 282763
We are available Monday to Thursday between 8.30am and 4.30pm (except bank holidays) however when we are not in the office you may wish to leave a message on our answer machine.
Telephone: 01609 763903
Your call is important to us and will be returned as soon as possible, but it may not be on the same day.
Urgent medical advice or attention
- Haematology open access, The James Cook University Hospital
Tel: 01642 854273 (emergency number Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm) or
- Ward 33, The James Cook University Hospital
Tel: 01642 835996 (evenings, weekends and bank holidays).