Changing Places toilets are bigger than standard wheelchair accessible toilets, which don’t provide changing benches or hoists, and are too small to accommodate a wheelchair user and more than one carer.
A Changing Places toilet is larger than a standard accessible toilet and is equipped with:
- Height adjustable changing bench or trolley
- Ceiling track hoist
- Adequate space for a disabled person and up to two carers
- Centrally placed toilet with grab bars
- Privacy screen/curtain
- Wide paper roll to cover the bench
- Slip resistant floor
Further information can be found on the following website links or by calling Middlesbrough Council on 01642 726004.
- Changing Places website
- Changing Places toilet campaign
- Changing Places locations – including The James Cook University Hospital
Access to the Changing Places
A membership scheme is in operation for the Changing Places toilet at Middlesbrough bus station. Application forms and information packs are available from the contact centre by calling 01642 245432 or visiting Middlesbrough House in person (Corporation Road, Middlesbrough TS1 2YQ). Two forms of ID are required to apply for membership.
Access to the other Changing Places facilities in Middlesbrough is either by RADAR key or through reception staff at the venue.