The South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust pharmacy department serves several sites across Teesside and North Yorkshire.
The James Cook University Hospital pharmacy department offers pharmaceutical services to their base hospital, one of largest hospital sites in the country, as well as to neighbouring community hospitals. A pharmacy service is provided to palliative patients at Teesside Hospice.
Outpatient dispensing at The James Cook University Hospital site is offered through a new partnership with Sainsbury’s Pharmacy.
The Friarage Hospital pharmacy team offers dedicated support to this district general hospital in Northallerton and to the community hospitals and mental health wards in this part of the region.
The pharmacy team
Our large dynamic, friendly and busy team includes assistant technical officers; technicians; pre-registration trainees; pharmacists; and purchasing officers.
The pharmacist is the trust medicines expert. The pharmacy team works with doctors and nurses, monitoring treatment to ensure each patient receives the best possible medicine for their condition.
Annual drug expenditure for the trust sits at £25 million and the pharmacy team is responsible for ensuring this is spent efficiently throughout the trust.
The pharmacy team is committed to delivering a patient centered pharmacy service.
The department was highly commended by NHS Innovation North, Bright Ideas in Health Award 2013 for its fully comprehensive reuse of patient own drug initiative.
A major cardiothoracic centre, cancer care centre and trauma centre, other specialities at the trust include renal medicine, rheumatology, dermatology, women’s and children’s, respiratory and neurology.
For these specialities, the trust boasts specialist clinical pharmacists and advanced clinical pharmacists, who dedicate their practice to the proficient use of complex medicine regimes in these areas.
Aseptic dispensing and manufacturing services are crucial; supplying chemotherapy or total parenteral nutrition for named patients on-demand, under Section 10 of the Medicines Act.
Accommodation for the clinical trials pharmacy team has been recently refurbished to better fit the needs of this busy speciality.
Work currently underway includes:
- Working closely with NHS North East and Lamerton Swales to promote the effective use of Green Bags: aiming to increase adherence to medication, improve patient safety and decrease medicines wastage
- Pharmacist prescribers for: care of the elderly; acute assessment; cardiothoracics; women and children; renal medicine; anticoagulation; and oncology
- Two new anticoagulation pharmacists posts and pharmacist-led fast-track anticoagulation of DVT & PE patients
- Full integration of community services and hospital pharmacy teams
- Electronic chemotherapy prescribing
- Medicines information service
- Antimicrobial pharmacist ward rounds
- A devoted on-call team of pharmacists
- Patient safety, resource management and teaching of medical and nursing staff
- South Tees formulary
- General Pharmaceutical Council
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists
- The Pharmacists’ Defence Association