General wellbeing support
- BMA Wellbeing Support Services: Free, confidential 24/7 counselling and peer support services open to all medical students (regardless of BMA membership) on 0330 123 1245, [email protected]
- Tea & Empathy: Informal, peer to peer Facebook network for NHS professionals
Medical school support links
Mental health support
- Talk Campus: free-to-download app where you can talk with other students from around the world if you’re struggling and worried about your mental health
- Samaritans: available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on Freephone 116 123
- PAPYRUS – Prevention of young suicide: available Monday to Friday 10am to 10pm, weekends 2pm to 10pm and bank holidays 2pm to 5pm on 0800 068 4141 and www.papyrus-uk.org
- Stay Alive app: suicide prevention resource to use if you are having thoughts of suicide or you are concerned about someone else who may be considering suicide. prevent-suicide.org.uk/find-help-now/stay-alive-app
- If you are worried about your safety or feel at risk of harming yourself, you need to access help immediately
- If you feel your life is in imminent danger, you should call 999 or go to the nearest emergency department
- Consider calling NHS on 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice, but it’s not a life-threatening situation
Support when you need it here at STRIVE
Come and speak to ANY member of the STRIVE undergraduate team, we’ll do our very best to support you and can signpost to additional services if needed. We can allocate you a pastoral tutor, a clinician within South Tees.
Useful contacts (but feel free to knock on our doors!)
Birgit Hanusch, deputy director of medical education
Graham Bone, senior clinical lecturer
Kate Bury, clinical lecturer
Jo Carling, senior clinical lecturer
Karen Coates, clinical lecturer
Helen Collingwood, GP lecturer
Val Foley, senior clinical lecturer
Heather McCosh, undergraduate manager
Penny Wilson, GP lecturer
Apps and online platforms
- Headspace: Guided meditation for mindfulness, sleep and more.
- Calm: Guided meditation for mindfulness, sleep and more
- Daylight: Cognitive behavioural therapy based app designed for overcoming worry and anxiety.
- SHOUT: Free, confidential 24/7 text support service. Text SHOUT to 85258 for support.
- Catch it: Cognitive behavioural therapy based app aimed to help users deal with feelings of anxiety, depression, anger and confusion.