Help after rape and sexual assault
Where to get help
Sexual assault referral centres (SARCs) offer medical, practical and emotional support to anyone who has been raped sexually assaulted or abused. SARCs have specially trained doctors, nurses and support workers to care for you.
You can get help from a SARC by booking an appointment with your nearest one.
Other places you can get help include:
- a doctor or practice nurse at your GP surgery
- a voluntary organisation, such as Rape Crisis, Women’s Aid, Victim Support, The Survivors Trust or Male Survivors Partnership
- the 24-hour freephone National Domestic Abuse Helpline, run by Refuge, on 0808 2000 247
- the rape and sexual abuse support line run by Rape Crisis England and Wales – you can call the helpline on 0808 500 2222 or use the online chat (both are free and are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year)
- a hospital accident and emergency department
- a genitourinary medicine (GUM) or sexual health clinic
- a contraceptive clinic
- a young people’s service
- call NHS 111 or get help from 111 online
- the police, or dial 101
- in an emergency, dial 999
Terrance Higgins Trust – Virgin Care
Terrance Higgins Trust offer a weekly HIV and sexual health clinic at The Live Well Centre in Middlesbrough (appointment only). The trust delivers a range of sexual health services (same day results) in association with Virgin Care Sexual Health Teesside including rapid HIV testing, hepatitis C testing, syphilis testing, free condoms and sexual health information and advice.
For more information and advice, please check out their website Live Well Centre, Middlesbrough | Terrence Higgins Trust (tht.org.uk)
For general enquiries, please email [email protected]
Sexual Health Teesside
Sexual Health Teesside provide a free and confidential sexual health service. The service is for people of all ages, genders and orientations – you don’t need to see a GP first. Services offered include; contraception-all types, STI screening and treatment, emergency contraception, counselling advice and many more.
To book an appointment visit Sexual Health and STI Clinics in and near Teesside | HCRG Care Group (thesexualhealthhub.co.uk) or call 0300 330 11 22 (the phone line is available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm).